Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:19:47 -0400
From:      Bigwillie <mvanberk@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help the daemons are killing it

Just joking, but not a serious problem (I have to reinstall most
likely).  The problem I have is on a experimental box and Im some what a
newbie.  Ive been playing around with cron so that it starts seti@home
every hour if its not running, and if it is it doesn't do a thing.  I came
across problems where I would get errors==>
sendmail [308] gethostaddr (192.168.0.2) failed: 1
/kernel: swap-pagerpgetswapspace: failed
/kernel: pid 314 (ee), uid 0 was killed
after that some messages saying that /usr was full.  I had /var symlinked
to /usr/var.
Its like world war 13 in that box.  I ran top while this was going on, and
sendmail and local.mail were on top just running things.
It filled up the partition then they stopped.  So I thought everything was
ok.  Even most of the space was recovered.  I thought maybe if I reboot,
the daemons would live in peace, but no, lo and behold, the rouge processes
sendmail and local.mail are at it again, filling up the drive, 5G worth!!!
Its kind of amusing to see this happen.  Since its an experimental box, I
dont care about what happens to it.  My real issue is how could I find out
where all of this information is being written to.  At one moment
/var/mail/root had a huge file size then it would go down then up again, so
maybe the rest was in the spool, dont know.
Another issue, why is cron so difficult to setup.
Im not expecting any responses as to how to fix, but any clues would be
nice.  I most likely will poke around some more to figure out how to stop
this cascade event and maybe reinstall.  Im just posting to amuse the gurus
and newbies as to what can happen when you have absolute control.

I got to step out, Ill be back to report any changes.....

Steiny's Studio
Pachyderm Productions
http://steiny.hypermart.net
mailto:info@steiny.hypermart.net