Date:      01 Feb 2001 10:45:21 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to startx

jconner@enterit.com (Jim Conner) writes:

> Well, I admit that is something I never tried before and I usually keep my
> securelevel at 2 or 3.  However, Im not capable of testing this idea out
> though unfortunately.  We will have to wait for Alan to do it.

I can't tell about these specific cases, but it is blatantly true that
you can't start up an X server at a raised securelevel.  Disallowing
opens of /dev/mem is one of the *primary* purposes of raising your
securelevel, so it stands to reason that you won't be able to run X
after doing so.

I'm sorry you didn't get a response on this; it's come up a number of
times lately, and usually gets a quick answer.  If that trend
continues (where *are* people getting the idea of raising securelevel
without a hint of what it does?), I'll get around to entering it in
the FAQ.

Good luck.