Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:23:26 +0900
From:      Norikuni Kofuji <msx@kofuji.no-ip.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't use dma with harddisk

I have two FreeBSD boxes. One is P133 on ASUS mobo (P55T2P4), other is
PPro180 on gateway mobo (MBDSAC038ABWW). Tested with 3 harddisks,
Fujitsu 10GB (MPG3102ATE), Samsung 8GB (SV0844D) and Seagate 80Gb
(ST380020A). The onboard ide on both mobo's refuses to use any DMA mode.
Both mobo's have Intel PIIX3 IDE chipset.
Then I tried HPT366 PCI IDE card and for my surprise the same problem!
It works only with PIO modes.
When I try any DMA mode, it hangs with READ command timeout, followed by
reset. Tried ATA100 IDE cable also... always same problem.
What's wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Norikuni Kofuji