Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:14:20 +0100
From:      Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.co.yu>
To:        Andy Greenwood <greenwood.andy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install on usb hdd

Hi Andy!

> IIRC, you can only install to drives that the bios can see. You could
> try finding a computer whose bios can see the drive and installing
> from there. As long as you don't touch the internal drives on that
> machine, everything *should* be safe. YMMV

Huh! My bios sees usb flash stick pretty easily. This is 2.5 inch hdd
of WD and simple enclosure with two usb connectors for data and power.
I've heard that not all enclosures could boot, but no further reading
on the net. Could be this new hdd gone dead before even installed. I
load umass module and cannot see headers saying "WD etc".
Does someone use 2.5 usb hdd to install at it at all? I'm stranded
in this moment without clue. What data should bios get to add hdd to
the boot list?

                                    Zoran