Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:41:36 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@c0mplx.org>
Cc:        peter stern <pstern@65north.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recovering from the 6.3 xorg mess

--==_Exmh_1205793696_74408P

> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:36:23 +0100
> From: Kurt Jaeger <lists@c0mplx.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Hi!
>
> > I'd appreciate suggestions on how to get a working xorg from the mess 6.3
> > shipped with. I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2 and have never had much
> > trouble with it until the 6 branch was released. My hardware is pretty
> > generic Intel brand D865 motherboard, matrox g550 video. I don't customize
> > the kernel. I do clean installs not upgrades.
>
> Basically, the problem is with the matrox board.
>
> Due to the very same reasons I had to upgrade my workstation
> (good excuse 8-)
>
> Matrox provides a mga_hal binary to support the relevant resolution
> and other gimmicks of that board. This binary works with xorg-6.x,
> but not with xorg-7.x, because there were changes in the interfaces
> to the low-level things.
>
> As far as I can see, there is no driver from mga for 7.x available
> as of now.
>
> --
> pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                        12 years to go !

I have run the Matrox G550 under both 6 and 7. I had some problems, but
not too many. I do need to use xrandr to set up the proper resolution,
though.

#!/bin/sh
# Set 1280x1024 mode on second display
xrandr --addmode VGA2 1280x1024
# Set 1024x768 mode on second port (Why? Why not.)
xrandr --addmode VGA2 1024x768
# Set the second port to use 1280x1024
xrandr --output VGA2 --mode 1280x1024

If you have a dual-monitor setup, you need xf86-video-mga-1.9.100. The
version in ports is mga-1.4.7. You will have to pull the old port out of
cvs. The version was rolled back on Jan. 2, 2008 due to problems people
were having with the new code,

Let me know if you need a copy of my xorg.conf for this beast. The
xrandr setup is a bit different from the old one.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1205793696_74408P