Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:58:52 -0500
From:      velar001@bama.ua.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie Install Question: No Disks!

Hello. I'm using an old Gateway Pentium 90mhz, w/ 72MB of RAM - I don't
actually know what kind of controller, but there is a second hard drive
(Western Digital IDE) in the computer. I made the boot floppies for
release 4.10 as indicated in the handbook and so on, and I got to the
point in the installation where you select Quick, Standard, Custom. So
I go to select "Standard," and the message comes up indicating the need
to create (a) partition(s) to install FreeBSD. When I hit ok, I get a
message saying that no disks were found on which to install FreeBSD and
that I should check to see if the disks are being properly probed. The
following is what appears in the device probing (I only selected parts
that seemed either relevant or out of sorts):

Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
atapci0: RZ 100 ATA controller !WARNING! buggy chip data loss
possible>port 0x3f4-0x3f7, 0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 1.0 on pci0
atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
atapci0: Busmastering DMA disabled
ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0
ata2: unable to allocate interrupt
device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6
isab0: <Intel 82378ZB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 2.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
.
.
.
acd0: failure to execute ATAPI packet command
acd0: CDROM <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:260> at ata1-master BIOSPIO

(Also, when I tried again to do the standard installation but had the
debugging option set, and I switched over to view the debugging info,
these two messages seemed relevant:)

"Can't open PC-card controller"
"Can't open USB controller"

I know I sound hopelessly ignorant and newbie-like, but any help anyone
could offer would be so much appreciated.