Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:15:49 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Pat=F3n?= <d.paton.d@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD 9.2 on a G5 without CD

Dear list:

I want to comment how finally I had installed a FreeBSD 9.2 in a G5 using
an USB stick because I had detected some problems in certain instructions.

1) Download the image for memstick and powerpc architecture using wget
(with filemanager the image have mistakes)

2) Connect the memstick and dmesg. In my case the memstick is connected in
da0

3) dd if=FreeBSD-9.2-RELEASE-powerpc-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=10240
conv=sync

4) Check that image is OK with md5

5) Connect the memstick in the first USB of MAC and switch on the G5 with
the keys COMMAND+OPTION+O+F or WINDOWS+ALT+O+F

6) Firmware is on with the symbol "0 >"

Until here the instructions are common to many web pages BUT the following
is different in my case:

7) write this:

boot usb0/disk@1:2,\\:tbxi

the instructions that certain web pages recommend are not appropriate in my
case. I do not the reason.

Regards

       Numerical Ecology Group. Ecology Unit.
  Faculty of Sciences. University of Extremadura
            Avda. Elvas s/n 06071 Badajoz, Spain
https://sites.google.com/site/numericalecologyuex/