Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:33:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble with adduser

Hello.
I have much problems with my login configuration.

First, when adding new users via adduser, adduser does not update the /etc/group file!
Whenever I added new users, I had to modify the /etc/group file by hand.

The othe problem is login. When users are not in any valid group in /etc/group, they can not
log in! I reported this problem times before, but with no effect or no response.

I added some lines in login.conf and login.access. They work well with my configuration, but
there are some groups which have never permissions to log in although I never explicitely excluded them.
I checked syntax, checked the logical "way of being processed", but never found a problem. Doing some
strange things with one group that works fine wont work with another group that comes later on in
the /etc/group file so I suspect the group file containing a character I can not see. How can I
check and proof that? Has anybody similar problems and solutions?

Any tip, hint or solution is highly appreciated!

Oliver

Gruss O. Hartmann