Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:01:22 +0000
From:      Jurjen Middendorp <jurjenm@stack.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (off topic?) Best desktop

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 09:03:14AM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

>Well I pretty much went this way:
>
>    abrwm (evilwm) (tinywm didn't have vwindows), fbpanel, xv, idesk,
>transset-dt, I have not selected a fm yet...  For the most part I really
>like it (lean and mean) but one feature that several my apps support is
>transparent windows but seems abrwm for what ever reason doesn't support
>this and will completely ignore any windows with it...  so I am looking
>for the next smallest wm that can do virtual windows and transparency... I
>know openbox, ion, xfwm all can do it but want something even lighter.

Hello!  i used ion for a while and it was pretty fast/easy to use. I
recently tried out wmii and wmii is really nice. It's a bit less featureful
(sp?) than ion, but it's smaller and easier to use. It's also very cool
that its main (event) loop is a 200 line shell script.  I don't know about
transparency, but wmii doesn't have virtual windows (?).  But it does have
a very neat tagging system where each window has (a set of) tags. You can
select tags to view and you will only have the windows with that tag on the
screen. i like it very much! =) it's also not as strict about the tiling as
ion, which is a plus as well in my opinion.