Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:13:05 -0500
From:      "Jason Holland" <jphollan@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

hello all,
  i'm having a problem i hope someone can help out with.  i've searched the
mailing lists, bug reports and newsgroups and haven't found much information
on this problem.  i've seen it reported in a few places, but with no reply
to a fix or answer.  i'm running Freebsd 4.1 stable, installed from the
latest ISO grabbed off ftp.freebsd.org 2 days ago.  i have setup a dns
server, running bind 8.2.3-T5B from stable.  nslookup returns correct
information when i do host lookups

bash-2.04# nslookup cs.selu.edu
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    cs.selu.edu
Address:  147.174.59.5

bash-2.04#

however, when i try to telnet, ssh or ftp to that address, i get this

bash-2.04# telnet cs.selu.edu
cs.selu.edu: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution
bash-2.04#

my /etc/host.conf file looks like this

bash-2.04# cat /etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on
bash-2.04#

my /etc/resolv.conf file looks like this

bash-2.04# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search xxxxxxx.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1
bash-2.04#

my hostname, ip, and routes are correct, and i have network connectivity as
telnet, ftp and ssh work correctly if i specify the IP address, instead of
hostname.  but who wants to type in an ip address everytime? :)  btw, i
tried adding a specific entry in my /etc/hosts file for that address, and i
still get the same non-recoverable failure.  and though i compiled a new
kernel, it has no firewall support, so nothing is being blocked.  one last
point.  if i shutdown the dns server, and put my isp's dns servers in
resolv.conf, i get the same error.  how can my dns server return a correct
query via nslookup, but ftp, telnet or ssh fail???  this is very weird, not
to mention annoying!

if anyone could help me out, or point me in the right direction, i'd
appreciate it.  thanks!!

jason