Date:      Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:30:24 GMT
From:      garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/84268: chmod(1) manpage's BUGS entry is either wrong or too cryptic

The following reply was made to PR docs/84268; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/84268: chmod(1) manpage's BUGS entry is either wrong or
 too cryptic
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:27:19 -0700

 Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net> writes:

 > Failing that, it means 'S' and 'T'.

 Then the BUG entry doesn't say what it means and will waste people's
 time trying to figure out what it does mean.

 I still think the BUGS section should be removed.

 Or I can make a new patch with:

   There is no "perm" option which sets the sticky bit and also unsets
   the execute/search bit, and vice-versa, depending upon the "op"
   value.  The same applies to each of the setuid and setgid bits.

   There once was a man from Nantucket...

 I sure don't see that as a BUG; just a (good) design decision.