Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 18:35:47 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        dave <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rem*ve bootloader

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 06:26:21PM -0500, dave wrote:

> Get GRUB!
>
> GRand Unified Bootloader...
>
> Its the best one I've seen/used.
>
> Dave

GRUB... last I used it, it wouldn't boot Linux 2.4 særies kernels unless
you specified a menu... sort of defeating the purpose of having the
prompt.

GRUB is just a clone of the FreeBSD boot loader, really. It's the same
multi-stage concept, with a prompt... the only thing it adds is native
support for more filesystems.

After what GNU fdisk and parted did to my system, I will never, ever let
a GNU product stay resident in my master boot record again. I would put
the FreeBSD boot loader in the MBR, and LILO or GRUB on the linux slice.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx