Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 18:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5-RELEASE

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Howard Lew wrote:

> Hi!  Does anyone know how to install 2.1.5-RELEASE via ftp to a local
> machine via ethernet?

Run install, select ftp as the media & specify the machine.

> It seems to me that the installation in 2.1.5-RELEASE looks for
> bin/bin.tgz instead of bin.?? and a file called bin/bin.inf
>
> How does the remote machine need to be setup?
>
> Currently, the stuff is follows:
>
> The remote machine has the FreeBSD in a directory called FreeBSD...
>
> I have tried using ftp://machine/FreeBSD or ftp://machine with no luck.
> It is able to connect via ftp, but it just can not find the files... The
> previous versions of FreeBSD worked in one way or another or is it broken
> now?

Sysinstall is rather picky.  It assumes that your FTP site is set up just
like ftp.freebsd.org.  So your heirarchy should look like:

~ftp ---- pub --- FreeBSD --- 2.1.5-RELEASE --- bin
						des
						dict
						games ....

Also try setting the FTP error mode to 'retry' in the options screen.
This pokes sysinstall into trying some other directory structures,
including the one used on the CDROM (so you can mount the cd under
~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE and have it work).

Then use the URL  ftp://your.machine.and.stuff/pub/FreeBSD   when asked by
sysinstall.  It knows what your release version is and will look for it.

You can look at ftp://resnet.uoregon.edu/ if you need another example.