Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 03:32:45 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server...

Philippe Regnauld wrote:
> Toby Swanson writes:
> > =

> > On 06Aug98 Dag-Erling Coidan Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> > =

> > > Don't *whack* use *whack* qpopper *whack* *whack*
> > =

> > Are there any particular reasons to not use qpopper?
> =

> 	"How do you want to be cracked today ?"
> =

> 	Qpopper had its moment of (non)glory last month, when a buffer
> 	overflow was discovered in versions 2.4x -- it was fixed in 2.5 and up=
=2E
> =

> 	The overflow gave you instant root access from anywhere.

And there are still *many* problems remaining.  It's a very shoddy progra=
m =

IMHO, and the "fixes" are merely bandaids while the real problems remain.=
  =

It's string handling and termination really sucks.  If *just one* spot wa=
s =

missed, the holes are still there to exploit all over again.

> 	Cucipop may be a bit better, but why *whack* do you even *whack*
> 	ASK *whack* *whack* ! :-)

The cucipop code style scares the hell out of me, but it's bloody fast an=
dots all the i's and crosses all the t's etc - I'd be rather suprised if
major holes were found.  It has a few bugs that are a bitch to track down=

(see previous gripe about code style), but nothing serious.  It's mainly =
cosmetic glitch where it announces the per-message size a few bytes too
large and fetchmail complains about that.  It doesn't know about expired =

passwords either.

It's got some really devious features too.. :-)  You can sabotage the UID=
command to strongly "encourage" your users to NOT keep mail on the server=

forever, and do all sorts of things like auto-delete old (read) messages
etc.  (The UIDL sabotage means that if they select "leave on server",
they'll get another "new" copy of each message each time they connect.)

> -- =

>  -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11=
=2E3E ]-
> =

>                The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.
> =

> =

Cheers,
-Peter