Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:54:23 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>, "Gary Jennejohn \(Home\)" <gljennjohn@googlemail.com>, rene@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/chromium MAINTAINER, was Re: chromium producing constant hdd access

Hi,
Reference:

Thomas Abthorpe wrote:

> --a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C
>
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 01:13:19PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Reference:
> > > From:		Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>=20
> > > Date:		Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:48:50 +0000=20
> > > Message-id:	<20110118004850.GB17292@lonesome.com>=20
> >=20
> > Mark Linimon wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Because of the legal questions surrounding chromium,
> >=20
> > I know nothing of that. Just that a month ago it compiled, now it won't.
> >=20
> > > portmgr will ensure
> > > that it does not revert to ports@ :-)
> > > mcl
> >=20
> > So how about:
> > 	Revert to something that will compile, with no MAINTAINER.
> > 	Or delete port ?
> > 		A port that=20
> > 			- wont build,=20
> > 			- the maintainer won't fix,=20
> > 			- has security issues,=20
> > 			- is legaly problematic
> > 			- ports@ is scared of inheriting
> > 			- that we can't fix by adding a _DEPENDS etc
> > 		seems a waste of time & name space,
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
> <snip>
>
> I suggest you subscribe to
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-chromium, and make
> make your intentions known about what you can do to assist in getting a
> more current version of Chromium tested, built and updated in ports.
>
> Porting a browser as complex as Chromium is a lot of work, takes a lot
> of time, and requires a lot of attention to detail.
>
> A small group of us has been assisting Rene for a while now, and we have
> decided it is now time to grow a FreeBSD Chromium Community.  Within
> this community we are hoping to find testers, coders, helpers, coders,
> people with a general interest in Chromium, and did I mention coders?
>
> So please subscribe, make your inquiries, and as people come on board,
> we will be able to do more to spread the word about Chromium for
> FreeBSD.
>
> Thomas

A MAINTAINER who does not maintain is not a maintainer.
Makefile broke in the last month
MAINTAINER rene@ should add a BUILD_DEPENDS or whatever,
else resign & let someone else eg You Thomas become MAINTAINER

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
	Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.