Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:18:28 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root logins with ssh

Obviously it's bad to permit root logins with ssh. However, from the sshd(8)
manpage:

     PermitRootLogin
        Specifies whether the root can log in using ssh(1).  The argument
        must be ``yes'', ``without-password'' or ``no''. The default is
        ``yes''. If this options is set to ``without-password'' only
        password authentication is disabled for root.

        Root login with RSA authentication when the command option has
        been specified will be allowed regardless of the value of this
        setting (which may be useful for taking remote backups even if
        root login is normally not allowed).

It's that last paragraph that interests me. I want to keep PermitRootLogin set
to 'no' in sshd_config, but allow root logins for backups with rsync/ssh. I
can't seem to "make it so", though.

I'm running openssh 2.1.1 (from the base system with 4.0-STABLE). Using SSH2
protocol with DSA keys, although it doesn't seem to work with SSH1 and RSA,
either.

Has anyone managed to do this? Pointers appreciated.

thanks,

Nick.