Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 15:05:18 -0700
From:      Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3Ware Escalade experience?

On 5/3/2001 2:32 PM, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com> is said to
have spake:

> Would anybody on this list happen to have any experience with 3Ware's
> Escalade IDE RAID (hardware) controllers on FreeBSD?
I have successfully used them on a clients' file server recently. They work
like a charm.

> I may end up setting up a high end file server (insofar as an IDE-based
> system can be called "high-end") and want to use these controllers due to
> the absurdly high cost of SCSI disks compared to IDE.
I would not confuse these Escalade controllers with the sub-par hardware
performance of Ide raid controllers like the Promise 100s. The technology on
the Escalade controllers, 2nd generation, is extremely stable and fast.
I get regular 89/95 MB/s (write/read) performance on an 89 Gig RAID 10
array, made up of 4 IBM 45G Deskstar HDs.  The FreeBSD system treats the
Escalade controller as a kind of SCSI RAID card.

> Additionally, does anybody know if they can be combined (i.e. 2+ controllers
> for a single partition)?
This I do not know. Ask Mike Tancsa (he is on this list, and he helped me
with some info.
> This isn't a time-critical question so please don't make any sort of
> significant effort to answer it if you don't know off the top of your head.
> I'll find out eventually.
>
> Initially I thought that the controller was unsupported by FreeBSD (though I
> never really looked), but I just noticed that the driver had been updated as
> noted in the 4.3 release notes.
All you have to do is install the drives, install the controller, set it up
in the BIOS, create the twe0 device in BSD, and then add your partition to
the array with standard technique. easy!

Forrest