Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      zenin@archive.rhps.org (Zenin)
To:        stevek@guide.chi.il.us (Steve Kacsmark)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extremely Large ATA drives and BSD

> FreeBSD 2.2.7 recognizes my Maxtor 11.5GB harddrive as a 8.4GB drive....
> Is this a limitation of FreeBSD or an error on my part?

	It's a limitation of 1970's design.  See what the help section of
	the label editor in sysinstall has to say about IBM not thinking
	people would ever need more then 1024 cylinders.  It also describes
	how to find the real (non-BIOS) geometry so you can get past this.
--
-Zenin (zenin@archive.rhps.org)           From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC