Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:14:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@colltech.com>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>, Daniel Ruthardt <ruthardt@chello.at>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet access from local network using "root"

> > > Daniel Ruthardt wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I tell FreeBSD that I want to allow my local network to access
> > > my FreeBSD server using the "root" username via Telnet? Please help,
> > > this is very important 'cause my server has no graphic card nor an
> > > monitor (-;
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Daniel Ruthardt
> >
> > add users which you wish to be able to 'su root' into the group 'wheel'.
> > See /etc/group, edit it, and add the username of any regular user to
> > that group, then login via telnet as that user, type 'su' and enter the
> > root password. It is not traditionally secure to telnet as root
> > directly.
>
> And it's not any more secure that way, either.  Install openssh or ssh
> from /usr/ports/security and use that.

And the direct answer to your question...

vi /etc/ttys (I think, I don't have a box handy) and mark the pty's as
secure.  That will allow root logins from telnet.  Now, that probably
isn't the best idea from a security standpoint - using ssh and allowing
root logins through ssh is probably a better idea.