Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:03:50 +1200
From:      "Tortise@Paradise" <tortise@paradise.net.nz>
To:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org>, "Glen Mehn" <glen@burningman.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poor Mans Software raid 1 on root partition?

> > You can get a 3ware 7210 for $120: http://newegg.com
> >
> > it'll save you a lOT of time and heartache, and it's not that much $$...
>
> True, but if that 3ware quits making those cards and your card goes, your
> data is completely lost.  And what if you choose not to upgrade each time
> 3ware spins the cards?  How much testing does 3ware do against say the
> 6000 series?  Can I take my drives on my 68XX card and plug them into a
> 78XX card and have them work?  What about if 3ware creates an 88XX series?
>
> One significant advantage to software RAID is the fact that you can still
> extract your data from the disk even if you have to completely transplant
> the disks to different hardware.

mmmm

I think what I want to achieve is a second SCSI disc, which is regularly
"backed up to" in some fashion, although in less than real time be OK. (vis
a vis RAID) so long as it is a bootable reliable "backup" with a
controllable interval backup.   (Also avoids the hardware reliance.  I have
one machine (W2000) which has a backup RAID card so it can be got running
again quickly......without worrying about sourcing another card..... Clearly
this is undesirable...)

Does anyone do this?

Regards
David Hingston MB ChB MBA
tortoise@paradise.net.nz
http://hingston.yi.org/
http://pcmc.yi.org/
If you seek a digitally signed response please advise.
If you received a warning on reading this e-mail, please go to
http://www.baycorpid.com/settings/email.asp?CA=healthcert to update your
settings