Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:49:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ypcat works, ypxfr does not

Mikhail Teterin wrote,

> root@misha:~mi (270) ypcat hosts
> [...]
> root@misha:~mi (271) /usr/libexec/ypxfr -c hosts.byname
> ypxfr: couldn't create udp handle to ypserv: RPC: Program not registered
>
> ypxfr: failed to get order number of hosts.byname: RPC failure talking to server
> ypxfr: Exiting: NIS server/map database error
>
> Any suggestions? My machine runs ypbind only right now, but I wanted
> to set-up a local yp-slave to speed thing yp a bit. But ypinit
> fails, and so does an explicit ypxfr of any of the databases...
>
> ypxfr with explicit `-h master' does not work in the same way... Any
> ideas?

RTFM. man ypxfr:

    " Ypxfr copies an NIS database (or map) from one NIS server to another us-
     ing NIS services."

You say you only have ypbind running. ypxfr transfers between
two ypservs. That first error is ypxfr not finding ypserv running on
your system. I cannot say off-hand whether the others are cascade
failures due to the first or independent problems.