Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:23:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        richw@webcom.com, rizzo@aciri.org, patrick@netzuno.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (more info)

> Instead of trying to fix the old bridging which was written when netgraph was
> not publically available  (It was as good as could be done at the time,
> but it was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.... a hack at
> best) the same effort should be put into making netgraph
> bridging do what is needed by different people. it will be a lot easier and
> a lot more useful in the end.

julian,

it is all a matter on how much time people can dedicate to things.
Feel free to improve netgraph bridging, integrate it with ipfw,
etc -- i will be glad to suggest to abandon the existing bridging
code when netgraph (which i consider a very nice and appealing mechanism)
is on par with it (oh, do not forget performance and code size --
many many people are using picobsd images to build filtering/shaping
bridges).

Until then, please realize that it takes much less time to me to
fix existing code than to learn how to work on netgraph modules.
Not to mention that a lot of the work i have done on the past two
weeks was to cleanup poorly designed or buggy interfaces, and fix
the effects of some untested commits done in the past.

	cheers
	luigi