Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:37:37 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP! Inetd wrapping OFF by default

Hi folks,

I've just committed a change to inetd that will effectively turn TCP
Wrapping off for anyone who has an installed /etc/rc.conf that specifies
an inetd_flags value, as well as anyone who makes world without running
mergemaster to update /etc/defaults/rc.conf .

This will not be a problem for most people.

Inetd now takes command-line options to enable wrapping. This was a
decision taken with the approval of our release engineer in an attempt
to revert a backward-compatibility problem introduced in 3.2-RELEASE.

The relevant changes to the manpage follow:
"
SYNOPSIS
     inetd [-d] [-l] [-w] [-W] [-c maximum] [-C rate] [-a address] [-p
           filename] [-R rate] [configuration file]
[...]
DESCRIPTION
[...]
     -w      Turn on TCP Wrapping for external services. See the
             IMPLEMENTATION NOTES section for more information on TCP
             Wrappers support.

     -W      Turn on TCP Wrapping for internal services which are built
             in to inetd.
"

Please do read the IMPLEMENTATION NOTES and take care on your next
``make world''. Particularly, note that limited dgram wrapping is now
possible, so be careful if you've been relying in your /etc/hosts.allow
on the fact that we haven't been offerinrg wrapping for dgram services.

Ciao,
Sheldon.