Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 23:36:46 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, mmead@Glock.COM
Subject:   Re: proxy arp and gatewaying

Matthew C. Mead <mmead@glock.com> asks:
> Has anyone successfully setup proxy arp and gatewaying on a
> 2.0.5 or later box?  What I want to do is have two interfaces on one of my
> FreeBSD boxes, where it forwards packets from one interface to another, if

...[snip diagram]...

> Ok, hope that diagram makes sense.  What I want to also achieve, is
> the following.  I'd like to have ice and neon setup so that they think
> their default gateway is goof.com.  From what I understand, the GATEWAY
> kernel option will only copy the traffic across interfaces if it needs to

We have a box running as a bridge/filter between our the network our router
is on (our feed also serves another company, which has its own bridge) and
our internal LAN. Thus:

	LAN <--- ether ---> {ed1 - FreeBSD - ed0} <--- ether ---> hub/router

Just have the outside world set the BSD box (ed0) as the route inward for the
internal LAN, and have  LAN set the BSD box (ed1) as its default gateway.

Hope that answers the question.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...