Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 11:56:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        shocking@prth.pgs.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No sound with quake 2 on FreeBSD-2.2.8

> > available, so there is really nothing stopping people from implementing
> > it -- not even time, since they want this primitive to play games.
>
> This is an early candidate for the quote of the year :-)

maybe.

> I think the main point about the mmap interface is that you don't need
> a seperate thread or process to feed the card. Portably, that is,
> without surprises which write(2) blocks when on which driver/os.

This is totally false. Mmapping the buffer will not save you
from underruns.

The only thing it gives you is the ability to replace samples
already written to the driver (but not consumed by it) with new
ones. Of course you have no (portable) way to control/enforce how
much buffering occurs within the driver so in the end i wonder how
much you gain in terms of portability.

The mmap interface (someone please correct me if i am wrong) is only
there because Windows uses it in some incarnation.

	cheers
	luigi