Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:11:27 -0400
From:      "Martin M" <lalala@globalserve.net>
To:        "ifup" <ifup@yifan.net>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: after install freebsd

    OS-Boot Select seems to have no problems booting FreeBSD... It's
freeware, and presents a menu at least as nice as System Commander's...

    I think you can download it in /utils from ftp.freebsd.org, if not just
look it up on the internet.... the file is called osbs20b8.exe or
osbs20b8.zip.  It comes with instructions.

    It won't actually recognize a fat32 partition (it's old), but will boot
windows9x anyways (add the "uknown type" partition to your menu and it works
just fine).

    Sound card:  I don't know if your sound card is supported or not (is it
sound blaster compatible? (send that question to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org if it isn't.)) but YES, you will have to
recompile the kernel to get sound.  You'll also want to make a symlink at
/dev/cdrom that points to your CD drive to get most cd players to work....
Personally I have had some problems with CD playing software ported from
linux (kscd core dumps right after starting);  You need to grab a cd player
that allows you to specify the device on the command line (like the gnome cd
player..
"cd_command -d /dev/cdrom").

    As for ppp, if you're using X anyway, why not just stick to kppp or
gnome-ppp?  I think the command to activate ppp is "pppd", I have no idea
how to configure it from the command line but try "man pppd" to read the
manual page for that comand.