Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:58:05 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   Re: ECGS ...

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, David O'Brien wrote:

> > I'm generally the last person to complain about a particular port, but why
> > is there a development version of EGCS 2.x in the ports, but not stable
> > version? :(
>
> Because the development version in the tree was felt to be more stable
> than 1.1b.  As tested by me and a rather hairy C++ project by jdp.
>
> If you can tell me a newer SNAP that would be stable for you, I'll be
> more than happy to upgrade the port.  I don't want to see two versions of
> EGCS in the ports collection.  I want the one I maintain to be as stable
> as possible.  (and at times that's asking a lot)

I'm trying to work with both the EGCS and MICO guys right now to figure
out where the problem lies, but the last I've heard on the list is that
v1.1.1 is about to be released...is that not more stable then a
'development version'?

>From what I'm gathering, it looks like EGCS went super-strict on the
conformance side, and MICO might be doing something that the 1.1.x series
of EGCS wasn't too strict about, which is causing the breakage...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org