Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 12:30:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmmm.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

> A 3.0 box running yesterday's -current:
>
>  5:13AM  up 2 days,  2:46, 1 user, load averages: 1.02, 1.03, 1.05
> USER             TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
> jkh              p0  om.com           12May61     - w
>
> I'm logged in from time.cdrom.com but, as you can see, the host field
> is badly truncated.  I've zero'd both utmp and wtmp (though only the
> latter should be necessary) and I've made sure that all the binaries
> are at 3.0 - there shouldn't be anything writing entries in the old
> format but the new entries are still spooged like this.
>
> So what gives?  Anyone have any clues?

You need to recompile libkvm, libc, and 'w', to go along with the
zeroing utmp/wtmp and recompiling 'login'.

The problem is the 16-8 user field size change.  You can see that this
is obviously the case by noting that you are missing the 8 characters
from the front of your host name, and knowing the utmp/wtmp field
order.

Now you get to replace all your compilation tools because of the 'mk'
file changes and the stupid non-use of "strip".  Congradulations.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.