Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 11:14:35 -0400
From:      "Jim" <jim@netquick.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Making an Image/cloning a system

Greetings,

	We are a small ISP located in North Carolina.  About 8 months ago we hired
a self professed FreeBSD expert to set up a WEB Server for us and to do
virtual hosting on the box.  It does just that, and it uses a configuration
that is unique, provides each person with their own virtual directory.  It
works very well.  The problem was that the setup was not his, he was using
our name to hire other programmers to get the system to operate, and
generally was a con artist.  When we were about to confront him he flew the
coop.  He left us with several financial obligations and the WEB Server.
Now after we have cleaned up all of the financial obligations we would like
to continue to use this box.  We still have a remote admin in Atlanta that
is assisting us for a fee. Number one, we need to back up the system, and
additionally we would like to clone the setup so that we can use it for
other WEB servers.  Our remote admin is at a loss, he recommended using tar
then to copy it across our network to another disk.  There is not enough
disk space to tar the files.
We are fledgling Unix users, and for the most part have to continue to
solicit outside assistance until we are familiar enough with the system to
manage it entirely.  The server is a production server, and has WEB sites on
it.  It does not have a tape because the con artist said he could back it up
over the LAN.

What I need,

	A low cost alternative to back up the system now.  (over the LAN would be
great for us)
	A way to clone the setup so we can continue to use it, and learn as we
grow.
	A recommendation for a low cost tape Drive that will back up 10 Gigabytes.
	The name of an outside Admin that might be able to assist us remotely.

Thanks in advance

PS.
	I will gladly provide the con artists name, and his latest alias name upon
request.

Jim Roberts
jim@netquick.net
910-486-7845 ext 28