Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:44:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMware freezing up my computer

	I tried installing VMware 2.0 from the Vladimir N. Silyaev port
	available off the net.	I'm running on a Pentium II 350 running
	a 4.0-STABLE system cvsupped yesterday.  The linux base is the
	6.1 port and it was installed around February 14, and I'm using
	the linix proc port with it as well.  The only minor odd thing
	I did was update the default port to use the release version of
	VMware 2.0 (VMware-2.0-476.tar.gz) instead of the older snapshot
	specified in the port.

	The installation when fine, and I loaded all the kernel modules
	necessary for it to run.  I then started up vmware and proceeded
	to create my first virtual machine.  It was a win98 client system
	that I tried to create.  After that I dug out my win98 startup
	disk so I could format the virtual disk I created, and tried
	to boot it under vmware.  This is where the problems started.
	Everytime I start the virtual machine under vmware, it runs
	for a few seconds (less than a minute), and then hangs with a
	lot of disk access (not swaping though according to swapinfo).
	This extreme disk usage shuts out all other disk access on the
	machine, causing the whole machine to lock up in a few minutes.

	Has anyone else seen this?  I've tried booting both from the
	floppy device, and from a disk image of the boot disk.	I even
	installed the /dev/rtc emulator to see if that would help.
	I get no error messages, or other indications of problems,
	it just hangs.

	Any suggestions would be greatly accepted.

					Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com