Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 17:17:45 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert), wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux and Solaris tcp beating FreeBSD 4:1

--==_Exmh_1604981672P

If memory serves me right, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> If you have access to both sides of the adsl link, i think you might
> more effectively implement link-level retransmits (i am not sure, but
> it might be that ppp already does this).
>
> It could be a relatively simple project to implement within a
> FreeBSD-based router or bridge

Some of my former colleagues at UC Berkeley did some rather nifty
work (IMHO) in this area.  Although originally designed for use with
(lossy) wireless LANs, it sounds applicable in this environment:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~hari/papers/snoop.html

It's designed for the case of TCP segments passing over a lossy link,
where you have control of the router/gateway/base station on the far
("upstream") side.  "Snoop" is aware of the contents of TCP segments
passing through the router, and performs local retransmissions of
segments according to some criteria (that I used to remember but can't
now).  The high-order-bit is that the snoop agent can detect (and
initiate) retransmission faster than the normal end-to-end TCP
algorithms would.  No modification is necessary to the endpoints.

They have code for BSD/OS 3.0 and 2.1.  Having never looked at the
code, it'd be pure speculation on my part to venture an opinion on how
portable it is.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1604981672P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBN1HVKajOOi0j7CY9AQFF+QP/eDF4TubKhrRURpUsmxPgykBtjc2wPYgp
xFEOLvpuPAvqVLtQL9oMjkJT406xM8NITg8ZRTIAJUNKRJUIaOWdQR6BDIYuVbFM
pPR3sYoS2LngaZ/UF7FlzmMJlPPSSPh7gV9XL5SPOWguzjlMe2WLVEaBaEgN1IX+
sKgf05TYheg=
=IgO1
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1604981672P--