Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:48:00 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        Steve.Sun@ncc.edu, punosevac@math.arizona.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for Sony Playstation3?

> > ... will FreeBSD.org consider porting FreeBSD to Sony
> > Playstation3?
>
> ... NetBSD works like a charm on Sony Playstation2
> http://www.netbsd.org/ports/playstation2/.
>
> and my guess will be that NetBSD 4.0 which is supposed to
> be released about the same time as FreeBSD 7.0 will work
> on Playstation3.

The IBM Cell processor in the PS3 is unique beast, similar in many
ways to a PPC970 but with enough subtle (and some not-so-subtle)
differences that the port would likely need to be overseen by
someone familiar with such undertakings.  This is not to predict
that NetBSD 4.0 will or won't support it -- that could reasonably
be asked on a NetBSD list -- but be aware that it may turn out to
be a bigger job than one might initially expect.