Date:      Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:20:46 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: harder and harder to avoid pkg

I feel like creative use of run/build-depends would work but I'm a bit tired=
 now. Well you probably don't want any or near zero deps down a library depe=
nds path.=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 10:08 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 11/10/2016 5:34 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> Make a slave port with an abbreviated pkg-plist bruh. ;)
> yeeess, good idea, but that won't satisfy the dependency requirements of o=
ther packages... you need to fool other packages, and that's the hard part. T=
he way to do this is I think for pkg to have the ability to have two manifes=
ts.
>=20
> We are doing similar to what Roger says, but it's just so much work...
>=20
>>=20
>> -Alfred
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On 10/11/16 11:59 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>> As the number of dependencies between packages get ever higher, it becom=
es more and more difficult to compile packages and the dependence on binary p=
recompiled packages is increased. However binary packages are unsuitable for=
 some situations.  We really need to follow the lead of some of the Linux gr=
oups and have -runtime and -devel versions of packages, OR  we what woudlbe s=
marter, woudl be to have several "sub manifests" to allow unpacking in diffe=
rent environments.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> A simple example:   libxml2
>>>=20
>>> This package installs include files and libraries and dicumentation etc.=

>>>=20
>>> yet if I build an appliance , I want it to only install a singe file.
>>>=20
>>> /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> The presence of this file will satisfy any runtime dependencies of packa=
ges that require it.
>>>=20
>>> Unfortunately there is no way to install just this file, and still repor=
t that we have the package loaded, so
>>>=20
>>> pkg will always try to reinstall it leading to a huge mess.
>>>=20
>>> My current scheme is to unpack all packages into a larger staging area, a=
nd *manually* (scripted) copy out only the files I need, and then copy the p=
kg database, so that when run on the running appliance, pkg THINKS all the p=
ackages are loaded on the appliance, even though only the runtime files are i=
nstalled. This is what we in the industry call "a hack"  :-) It is also not r=
obust in the face of changing pkg versions.
>>>=20
>>> It would be a lot better it pkg knew it was being asked to install only t=
he runtime set, and coudl accurately  store this information in its database=
, allowing it to satisfy the needs of other packages that need that dependne=
ncy only in a runtime manner.