Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:20:48 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Aron Silverton <ajs@labs.mot.com>, "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Yann Golanski <yann@kierun.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

Thus spake Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>:
>     I had similar problems but reinstalling fontconfig did not do the trick.
>     I also attempted to recompile and reinstall libXft, which didn't work,
>     then recompiled mozilla from scratch... and that didn't work either.
>
>     What's interesting is that mozilla died in several different places.
>     It began by dying in fontconfig.  When I rebuilt fontconfig it died
>     in Xft.  When I rebuilt Xft it died in its javascript submodule.
>
>     Portupgrade upgraded about half of the required packages in -fR mode
>     but died trying to install libiconv on a stale file in /usr/X11.
>     However, once I got those glitches worked out and the entire ports
>     tree dependancy rebuilt (in force mode, whether a package was up-to-date
>     or not)... *THEN* rebuilt mozilla from scratch (for the fourth time)...
>     then mozilla started working again.  But, jeeze, it took about 8 man
>     hours over two days to get it working again!
>
>     Our ports system really sucks when it comes to managing very large
>     ports like mozilla.

Yep, pain and suffering.  I had the additional misfortune of cvs
updating in the middle of a large commit that changed x11 library
paths everywhere, then reinstalling parts of X.  Ultimately
downgrading Xft, XF86-4-libraries, etc. to thier 2/17/02 forms
fixed the problem, but it took several iterations just to get
everything to compile.  Moreover, somewhere in the process, I blew
away several hundred lines of local mods that happen to be missing
from my backups.

I keep thinking that my problems stem from not remembering to use
portupgrade until it's too late.  However, it seems there are
always undocumented forward and backward binary compabability
dependencies that portupgrade can never hope to know about.  It
would take less time to just upgrade everything, but then I have
to remember all of the options I need to pass to 'make install',
and where I put all my local modifications.