Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:24:48 +0930
From:      shaun <shaunbranden@dingoblue.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where's the fm for sendmail and pop3?

OK, I am trying to do something similar here and am having problems.
background:
I am using a dialup connection to mail.dingoblue.net.au from a
standalone box (sagan)

If I try to use a MUA with sendmail I get the following error:

   shaunbranden@dingoblue.net.au

      ... while talking to mail.optusnet.com.au.:
      >>> MAIL From:<entropy@sagan.tpn> SIZE=56
      <<< 501 <entropy@sagan.tpn>... Sender domain must exist
      501 shaunbranden@dingoblue.net.au... Data format error

So from the advice below, I added
define(`SMART_HOST',`<mail.dingoblue.net.au>')dnl
to the sagan.cf file, made it and mv'd it to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
(I also added:
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl
from the documentation)

I then rebooted (because I could not find the process to kill -HUP) and
tried it again. this time I get:

shaun@lost.net.au

550 shaun@lost.net.au... Host unknown (Name server:
<mail.dingoblue.net.au: host not found)

Any ideas on what I should try next?

--
Shaun Branden, email: shaunbranden@dingoblue.net.au icq:10469563
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it" -Arthur, THHGTTG