Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:44:49 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Cc:        nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp, billf@FreeBSD.ORG, cpiazza@home.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/11013: port audio/8hz-mp3: source not distributed

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Seigo TANIMURA wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:15:53 +0900,
>   Yukihiro Nakai <nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp> said:
>
> >> The situation will NOT change. The patent for mp3 is on the acoustic models
> >> used on coding and decoding. Since 8hz-mp3 has the patented acoustic models
> >> in itself, they cannot distribute their encoder.
> >>
> >> Considering above, we should cvs rm this port.
>
> nakai> I don't think so.
> nakai> Use RESTRICTED, NO_CDROM, NO_PACKAGE or some macro will prevent
> nakai> redistributing.
>

> The problem is on the distribution of the original source by 8hz, not *re*distribution.
> They cannot distribute their encoder by any means, so the issue is more serious than
> RESTRICTED.
>
> The bottom line is: 8hz cannot distribute the source, we should not port it.

Exactly why should we not port it? More exactly, why should we remove the
port?

The mp3 patent is not in effect everywhere.

And it doesn't really matter if 8hz can distribute the sources or not.
They exists and people have them.

The sources aren't illegal.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.