Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom Daly <tom@dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorry if duplicate...Multicast Routing

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Tom Daly wrote:

> Has anyone been able to create a unified multicast broadcast domain
> using FreeBSD routers and tunnels? Our internal telephone system VOIP
> system that uses multicast to handle things like conference calling and
> paging.  Many of our employess are off site, which DSL lines. A FreeBSD
> box creates a PPP tuennel for packet flow, which lets basic VOIP
> functions happen, but to allow more flexibility, I need to route
> multicast traffic as well.  Anyone have any good suggestions as to how
> to get this going? I have tried numerous things with mrouted, but they
> do not seem to work.

I've never used PPP to directly tunnel multicast, although the tun0
interfaces appear to have the MULTICAST flag set.  The configuration we
use here at NAI Labs is to use IP in IP tunneling between sites, and IP
multicast over ethernet multicast on local area networks, which works
quite well.  We use this specifically for video multicast, since we are
generally relying on the phone networks to do audio still for latency
reasons.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories