Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 12:38:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        james@nexis.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is it an attempt to use some wu-ftpd exploit ?

Hello!

I am not sure,
I might have missed some message about such an exploit,
but recently I've noticed in the syslog that people are
trying to "scan" ports using ftp.
I am running Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12](2) (I compiled it on Feb 2, 1997)
The message I see in the syslog is of the following type:

ftpd[3313]: refused PORT 0,3451 from tba-40.tba.com.br

And, the port number can be a different number, I believe in the range
1xxx-4xxx ir even 5xxx

Any idea ?
Thanks!

I did not have time to look into the source code yet,
but may be somebody can advise me what are the possible situations
when such message is generated.

IgoR