Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:39:05 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   send performance of rl(4)

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

Transferring files from my desktop to my laptop with rsync (over a
point-to-point netowork connection) is extremely slow, maxing out at
around 50 kB/s and often dropping to 0. Both systems show hardly any
activity. Is this normal for rsync running over a network? There is a
rsync daemon running on the laptop. Network interface on the laptop is
xl(4), the desktop is rl(4).

I think that the link is OK, because transferring dumps with nc from the
laptop to the desktop can max out the connection (9000-10000 kB/s over
100baseTX full-duplex).

However, when I try nc to transfer a file from the desktop to the laptop
it is extremely slow, topping out at around 200 kB/s.

When I check with netstat, the qeues on the laptop are empty, while the
send-queue on the desktop shows a large value:

 Active Internet connections
 Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
 tcp4       0  40951 192.168.0.1.55460      rfs.65000              ESTABLIS=
HED

I've tried disabling the firewall on the desktop (laptop doesn't have
one) and enabling polling on both interfaces. It doesn't seem to make
any difference.

Are there any bottlenecks I could check for? Or is this just a case of
crappy hardware? The rl(4) based cards don't seem to have a very good
reputation. I've got an old 3com 905B card lying around. Would it help
if I used that instead?

Roland
--=20

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt