Date:      28 Apr 2000 14:09:13 +0200
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: better bootloaders?

bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur) writes:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:34:56 +0200 (CEST), Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> >Correct me if I'm wrong but given you have a 20 GB IDE disk with
> >one half (the first half ) with a Win98 installed then there is no way
> >with the present FreeBSD install disk set to boot a FreeBSD partition
> >(installation) that is installed on the second half of that hard disk.
>
> I'm pretty damn sure this is the same thing being asked here several
> times a week: Your BSD root partition must be inside the first 1024
> cylinders of the IDE disk on most (?) systems. It's a BIOS restriction,
> i.e. before FreeBSD can even try to boot. The second half of a 20 GB
> disk sounds like it's too far in the back of the disk.

NO, it is not an BIOS restriction for most BIOS after 1996. There are
boot loaders that can handle this if the BIOS can, among them the
newest version of LILO. But the operating system also has to handle
this many do. So this is a very relevant question if FreeBSD can boot
from beond cylinder 1024 (8 GB).

A discussion on the freebsd.hackers mailing list indicate that if the
disk is run from the BIOS in LBA mode and the BIOS can boot from above
cylinder 1024 then FreeBSD can handle it.  They also say that the
FreeBSD boot0 boot manager can handle it.

Reference:

  http://www.bootmanager.com/fragenantworten.html.en.html#8GB
  http://x46.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=508851825

kent