Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:41:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
To:        ptfd9100@beanstalk.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare2

> Upon installing vmware 2 from teh ports, everything seemed to go fine
> however  when I try
to run it as a user I get a complaint about linux
> procfs not  mounted, when I use
/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware  it
> starts but gives me  errors about not being able
to execute the vmware
> workstation executable  file, and module 10 initialization
succeeded..
> Starts anyway, but I'm unable  to load a guest OS as when trying to hit
> power
on I get could not open  /proc/cpuinfo.

> I tried but did not have a linproc port in teh
ports collection.  So I
> got th  elinprocfs.tar.gz from teh same ftp as teh vmware
(mindspring
> ... ...) and  placed it in teh ports/emulators, tree. When running make

ioon it I get  complaints that it is too old, and need to run pkg
> instead?
>
> My system is
setup with Linux_compatibility=yes in rc.conf.

> Any help would be appreciated

have the following line in /etc/fstab:

/proc   /usr/compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0
0

When I boot that sets up the linprocfs stuff automatically. To do it manually is
something like:

/sbin/mount -t linprocfs /proc /usr/compat/linux/proc

-mark