Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Joel N. Weber II)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Joel N. Weber II wrote:

> I'm not sure that I agree with this.  I lived for two and a half years
> in an area of San Diego called Rancho Penasquitos.  It's a relatively
> affluent area; the house I lived in was four bedroom, three bathroom,
> three car garage house.  One reason many people choose to live there
> is the good public school system.  (Poway Unified School District
> is percieved as the good area; for various hysterical raisins it
> includes two communities that are a part of San Diego, as well as
> a seprate town called Poway.)
>
> I think that the poorest people who atttend Iolani School (on scholarships)
> are likely poorer than the poorest who attend Sunset Hills Elementary.
>
> (Most of my friends seem to be on scholarships, despite the fact that
> supposedly most people in the school aren't.)
>
> So it seems to me that where we have a competitive education system,

	we do you say "competitive education system"??
	were vouchers available there?  could parents send their
	children to any school they choose?

> different social classes will intermix more.  Because with the current
> system, affluent people can buy homes in the more expensive areas,
> and thus get into the rich districts.
>
> 	   for the ills that compulsory military service entails,
> 	   one benefit is to create a common experience shared by a
> 	   large number of the adult population.  an experience that can
> 	   serve to unify the citizenry (provided its not abused, as it
> 	   was during the vietnam war)
>
> That is bullshit.  My understanding is that if you went to college,
> you could delay getting into the war.  And if you didn't get in the
> war in your first year of elibility for the draft, you likely wouldn't,
> because IIRC they would take every 18 year old they could before they
> strated looking at the 19 year olds.  So if you got a deferment,
> you'd likely be way down the list by the time you were in the pool
> to be drafted again.

	you paragraph supports my comments regarding the vietnam war.
	world war 2 was different, i am less sure about korea, but
	i understand that college deferements were as vietnam war
	phemonomon(sp?).

> And in general, the affluent are more likely to go to college.
>

> Anyway, I don't intend to go to college, but I am sure that I would
> try to find some way to avoid going into the military if there is
> a draft in the next few years (I'm 17 now).  I think that
> making a career of killing people is just plain wrong.

	yes it is.  making a career out of defending yourself is not.
	if you dont, who do you expect will?  if few enouhg
	people opt out, its not a severe problem, if too many people
	opt out, no one will be willing to defend the others.
	military service is a duty, not a "joy".  its the cost of
	having a citizen army as opposed to a professional army.
	professional armies are dangerous, sometimes they believe
	that they know better than teh civilianb govt, sometimes
	they act upon that belief.
jmb