Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:39:11 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Greg Cook <freebsd@vnews.net>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 9 quick questions :) Somewhat Long

In the last episode (Feb 26), Greg Cook said:

9 quick answers :)

> Packages:
> 1. Is there any way to query which packages are loaded, i.e. equiv.
> to rpm -qa under Redhat RPM Manager.

pkg_info -aI

> 2. Any easy way to remove a package.

pkg_delete

> 3. Upgrading a package and reasonable OS package update intervals.

? are you asking how often you should update packages, or how often the
main BSD package site is updated?  The latter depends on how often the
ports maintainer wants to update the port.

> Kernel Parameters:
> 4. Default file descriptor settings, where to change, and reasonable
> maximums.

The general tweakable parameter is "maxusers" in the kernel config
file.  Take a look at /sys/compile/KERNNAME/param.c to see which kernel
variables this affects.  Most of those vars can be adjusted at runtime
via the sysctl command.

> 5. UDMA support. How to turn on for the VIA chipset. i.e. hdparm -d 1
> /dev/hda under Linux

man wd; it's enabled during the kernel probe.

> 6. Changing the shell to bash (it is installed) from csh. Have tried
> /etc/paswd and /etc/master.passwd, no avail.

vipw

> Security
> 7. Have tcpwrappers package installed, unable to locate a
> /etc/hosts.allow/.deny. Different locations/names?

quick rule for ports/packages:  They ALWAYS install into /usr/local/*,
so try /usr/local/etc

> 9. Generic C file (hello world) spews all kinds of parse errors in
> the _headers_ included. First 3 files with errors included below. I
>
> bash-2.02$ cat t.c
> #include <netinet/in.h>
> #include <signal.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <sys/socket.h>
> #include <sys/types.h>

According to the inet manpage, the order should be:

     #include <sys/types.h>
     #include <sys/socket.h>
     #include <netinet/in.h>
     #include <arpa/inet.h>

> I am impressed with FreeBSD so far, and have even toyed with the idea
> of moving a couple of other high usage boxes over to it, as soon as I
> can verify how tight I can shore up the security. The box in question
> here is on an internal private Class C and not accessible to the
> outside world, but if I can deny All: All and allow All: to local
> then I'd feel more comfortable about public boxes on FreeBSD.

ipfw

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com