Date:      Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:08:56 +0100
From:      Chris Roos <chris@seagul.co.uk>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating FreeBsd installation to another hard drive

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Chris Roos wrote:
>
>> One final question is whether the dump/restore process is the best
>> approach in this instance?  I have read about using dd but am not
>> entirely sure whether this would do what I need?
>>
> No, you should use dump/restore and if it is the root partition you will
> need to edit fstab afterwards.

Can I just double check that the editing of fstab is only applicable if
my device names change?  During my testing here I have been migrating to
a secondary disk that eventually becomes the primary.  As such I haven't
had to change the fstab (both origin and eventually destination are
device ad0).  When I do this for real however, I will be migrating from
a single drive to an array so understand that in that case I will need
to edit fstab to reflect the device change (this should be fine as I
have had to do this in the past).

> --Alex
>
> PS There's a FAQ all about this.  I have no wish to decry the bsdvault
> article you quote, since I haven't read it -- it may even be the same as
> the FAQ.  But if the FAQ or handbook  has a section answering your
> question, then it is always likely to be the best starting point.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK

Thanks, I'd already read the faq and the bsdvault procedure is very
similar in content.  I just wondered if there was any better/other ways
really..

Thanks for your help,

Chris