Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:14:59 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Duncan, John" <jddst19@srg.psych.pitt.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-small@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for PalmPilot/Palm III

> Hi guys-
>
> Is anyone on this list interested in FreeBSD for handheld computers,
> notably the PalmPilot and the Palm III? If so, I'd like to join the
> discussion, and if not, it would be interesting to create it.
>
> If you haven't noticed, there is a Linux development team for the Pilot.

The version of "Linux" that runs on the Pilot has no VM.  Unlike Linux,
where the VM is still more or less an afterthought, FreeBSD lives and
breathes through the VM system.

Motorola's Dragonball (the CPU in the Pilot) has no PMMU, so no VM.

> We could also go into versions for WindowsCE machines. After all, who
> really wants WindowsCE? It's junk. What could be really cool would be to
> create a FreeBSD EEPROM for some of those CE machines and let people
> replace it.

Most CE machines are too short-lifed and closed architecture-wise to be
worth porting to.  By the time you'd worked out how they were laid out,
the few of the model you had still in existence would be in the bottom
of 10-year-old kids' sock drawers. 8(

> One request: if you don't think that this is a worthwhile venture,
> please don't go off about how you think it's stupid, unreasonable,
> unfeasible. In a way, the PDA is all of these things, but there's no
> reason to keep UNIX off of them. Besides... Are we going to let Linux
> and Microsoft get the better of this market?

It's not stupid, but it is relatively unfeasible to do anything really
useful with FreeBSD in a VM-less environment.

OTOH, for less than twice the cost of a Palm-III you can buy an
easily-overclockable Toshiba Libretto 50, which runs FreeBSD, has a
640x480 colour screen, a keyboard and takes honkin' big disks.

Tell you what I'd want to spend my time on.  8)