Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:08:54 -0500
From:      Benjamin Flom <benf@nexgen.com>
To:        Mikel King <mikel@ra.upan.org>
Cc:        frebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: supermicro motherboards

We build and deploy the box that you specd out. 370DLE, 2 GHz
processors, 2 GB RAM (4 x 512, make sure you use registered ECC or it
won't work). I don't understand your I/O requirement from your email,
but we used the DLE because we separate out I/O to a PCI card depending
on the customer's needs. So far we have used 64 bit PCI RAID cards, the
Adaptec 3200S (DPT VI in the Kernel, option asr). We haven't used the
IDE controllers on these boards (or for that matter any Supermicro
board) so I cannot comment on any issues related to these, but the
floppy controller works fine. Kernel compiled cleanly, no complaints or
problems (except that the Intel fans didn't fit the form factor of the
board and we had to use the Supermicro supplied fans instead). One quirk
with the Supermicro Server Work chipset boards is that they don't have
an AGP slot. While this is not a performance issue it is a pain in the
but to hunt down decent PCI video cards.