Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:37:14 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   It's alive!

Not sure which list to send to, since this is both a newbie story and a few
questions, so I'll try both.

Anyway, I bought a little PC to set up my first FreeBSD system (the first that I
actually _own_, that is), and to my pleasant surprise, it was pretty easy to
install.  I just booted directly from the Wind River distribution CDs I bought
(for about $30), followed the online instructions at freebsd.org while walking
through the installation, and lo! the machine came up under FreeBSD!  It was
actually somewhat faster and simpler than Windows NT, although the installation
of UNIX is far, far geekier (but as a geek this is not an obstacle for me).

Now that I have the machine up and running, I have several tasks next on my list
(in no particular order):

1. Install a POP3 server of some kind (qpopper, because I've used it before,
probably).
2. Install Apache so that I can run a prototype Web site.
3. Get X Windows to run from my Windows machine.
4. Try to get PPTP working so that I can get direct Net access from the UNIX
box.
5. Check video and network card support.

With respect to (1) and (3), I installed qpopper from the CD using
/stand/sysinstall, but I don't see any kind of daemon running for it after the
boot.  Ditto for the "core" set of XFree86 stuff.  Do I need to to other things
to start such components besides running sysinstall?

With respect to (2), I can't find Apache on the distribution CD; anyone know
where I can find it on the CD set (if it is there)?  I don't have direct
Internet access from the FreeBSD machine yet, which limits my ability to
download stuff from the Apache site.

With respect to (4), I installed PPTP client from the CD with sysinstall, then
fiddled with ppp.conf in a way that was suggested to me to get PPTP to work with
my ADSL modem (I won't be using PPTP or PPP for any other purpose).  My first
attempt to run PPTP produced a process that pretty much pegged the system, and I
saw the following in ppp.log:

Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: Using interface: tun0
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: Created in closed state
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Warning: Bad label in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf (line
7) - missing colon
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: PPP Started (direct mode).
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: bundle: Establish
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: Connected!
Oct 31 00:28:00 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: opening -> carrier
Oct 31 00:28:01 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: carrier -> lcp
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: Connect time: 17 secs: 0
octets in, 270 octets out
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: : 0 packets in, 5 packets out
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase:  total 15 bytes/sec, peak 21 bytes/sec
on Wed Oct 31 00:28:17 2001
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: deflink: lcp -> closed
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: bundle: Dead
Oct 31 00:28:17 freebie ppp[614]: Phase: PPP Terminated (normal).

I fixed the missing colon and tried again, and now I get (at the console):

# /usr/local/sbin/pptp 10.0.0.138
warn[open_unixsock:pptp_callmgr.c:308]: Call manager for 10.0.0.138 is already
running.
fatal[callmgr_main:pptp_callmgr.c:124]: Could not open unix socket for
10.0.0.138
fatal[launch_callmgr:pptp.c:214]: Call manager exited with error 256
#

What's the call manager?  I don't see any new processes or daemons in the
system.

I'd really like to get PPTP going, so that I can pull stuff off the Net to my
system.

Finally, with respect to (5), should I look for specific drivers on the Web
somewhere for my network and video cards?  The network card seems to be working
just fine, but I just picked a 3C503 driver during installation, and I don't
know if that is optimal.  As for the video card, the machine has a g2force video
card in it, whatever that is, and I can't even find out where to look for a
support site on the Web for this card.  It works fine in VGA mode, of course,
but if I want to run X Windows on the console, I'm not sure what sort of
additional support I need in order to make it work with the card (VGA support is
very generic, but things get fuzzier in graphics modes).  It is not necessary
that I have elaborate support for everything the card can do.

Anyway, overall, this looks like great fun.  It's not a production system, so I
don't have to panic when something doesn't work, and it's nice to have a
mainframe on my desktop, after spending so many years using somebody else's
mainframes!