Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:49:09 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Rotaru Razvan <roti_343@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: terminal incompatibility

On 2002-11-22 01:09, Rotaru Razvan <roti_343@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well this is just another mail about a problem i think a lot of people
> have. As i noticed by default terminals in bsd are named cons25. My
> problem? no compatibility with linux terminals (or with xterm).

You can always increase compatibility with other systems by changing
cons25 to vt220 in /etc/ttys.   Not all systems have a cons25 termcap
entry, but they all know about good ol' vt220 terminals.  FreeBSD's
virtual ttys work fine then.

One other thing that I like doing is to make sure that I don't use too
many virtual ttys, and fire up screen on the first 2-3.  Only four ttyv
terminals are more than enough for me.

$ grep -v '^[ ]*#' /etc/ttys | grep ttyv
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure

Then, I fire up screen and make sure that my TERM is set to vt220.

$ ps xa | grep 'v[0-9] .* screen'
43035  v0  S+     0:00.12 screen -ar
47203  v1  S+     0:00.34 screen -ar

This combination has worked remarkably well both for local programs
and remotely displayed stuff from a Solaris,  Linux or BSD system :)