Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:35:36 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Luke <luke@ms3.riverview.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 11:18:00PM -0500, Luke wrote:
> Actually there is work being done to support winmodems on Linux. And a few
> alpha/beta drivers available. Visit http://www.linmodems.org/ for more info
>
> Hello
> I've not downloaded the FreeBSD but I want to know if it supports WinModems
> like Diamond Supra2560?
> Linux don't support winmodems, and I think FreeBSD don't support them
> either, but only to check I've sent to you this e-mail.

Strictly speaking even Windows does not natively support Winmodems !
Without the driver disk you cannot use these things, Windows
sees them as "PCI Communication Devices" or some such.
I know this because I tried to set up a modem for someone
in their Win 98 machine without the driver disk.

On the other hand, the external modem I use very happily
doesn't work under Windows ! Even with the driver disk,
W98 cannot recognise it..

Funny old thing life...

Cliff