Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:24:47 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nslookup problem on FreeBSD-5.3: problem with non FQN domain

"Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:00:33PM +0100 I heard the voice of
> Julian H. Stacey, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Oh, OK. So I removed every line with a # & all blank lines, leaving just
> > ---
> > nameserver      127.0.0.1
> > nameserver      194.221.32.6
> > nameserver      194.221.87.2
> > ---
> > It didnt help.
>
> Nonono; the other thing you do with commented lines   :)
Yes, well, while in doubt testing, threw out all un-necessary complication.

> You need the "domain berklix.org" (or a similar "search" line) for it
> to guess a domain for non-FQDN lookups.

I've not needed that till now on any of the 3 servers (since I
changed my hostnames from *.bsn.com to *.berklix.org a long time
back, before then I needed that admittedly).  It's optional now.

>  That'll tell it to check
> "flat.berklix.org" if it can't find "flat" (or the other order; I can
> never remember); otherwise how would it know what to try?

By default from the domain name part returned by `hostname` per
	man resolv.conf	under domain & search

I was wondering if it might be a reverse lookup problem, as
my IP is 194.221.32.28, & that (via nslookup) returns bim.bsn.com
but that can't be the problem, else I'd be seeing same problem
on another of my machines: tower.berklix.org = 194.221.32.7 = bsd.bsn.com

However, I was going to experiment by adding back domain & search in
resolv.conf, but unfortunately I now can't reproduce the problem,
so can't tell if adding them back would clear the problem that's
now gone !  Aargh !

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.